5 Things to Ask When Hiring
a Roofing Contractor
1) Are they licensed and insured? A reputable roofing company will carry all the required local and state licenses. Make sure that the company you hire carries workers compensation insurance and general liability insurance. Ask for a copy of the certificate of insurance to make sure they do have it and that it is in effect.
2) Are they members of the BBB? While a BBB (Better Business Bureau) ranking doesn't necessarily mean the person has the right experience, it is a leading indicator. Most reputable companies are proud to maintain an A+ ranking with the BBB, with no reported consumer complaints.
3) Are they willing to supply you with referrals? This is a very important factor in deciding who to work with. If other customers are satisfied with their experience with a company, they will be willing to recommend the company to their friends and neighbors. A good way to check this is to search for reviews online. Google, Yelp, or the BBB are good search tools to see if the company you are considering has a solid history of positive reviews.
Whoever you choose, above all else, make certain you feel comfortable communicating with the company. Have a full understanding of exactly what the repair or installation will involve. Be sure to get everything in writing. The project will go much smoother.
4) How long have they been in the roofing business? We all had to start somewhere and it simply takes time to build up a business and a good reputation. Just because someone has been in business for a long time doesn’t mean they do a good job, but it does mean they should have no problem giving you plenty of referrals to contact.
5) Do they provide a written workmanship warranty? You want to find a roofing contractor who can guarantee that your new roof will be problem free for a long time. Since installing a new roof is usually a large financial investment, you want to be sure you have a good long term workmanship warranty. Always look for a roofing contractor who offers workmanship warranties of 5 years or longer on new roof replacements.